Sangeeta Katti (Kulkarni) (Kannada: ಸಂಗೀತ ಕಟ್ಟಿ (ಕುಲಕರ್ಣಿ)), popularly known as Sangeeta Katti, is a Hindustani classical vocalist in India. She has been awarded the prestigious Suvarna Karnataka Rajyotsava Award (The Highest Civilian award of the State) in 2006–07 by the Karnataka State Government.
Sangeeta Katti was born in Dharwad, Karnataka. She is a daughter of Dr. H. A . Katti and Smt Bharati Katti, Sangeeta Katti was born in Dharwad, an abode of Music, significantly on the Saraswati Pooja day of Dasara as a child prodigy in music, on 7 October.
Sangeeta Katti has a rich performance experience in Hindustani Vocal as well as Bhajans, Vachanas, Dasavani, Abhangs, Bhavageet, Folk Music and Playback singing.
Sangeeta Katti is graduate in Chemistry (with distinction) and well versed in several languages like Kannada, Hindi, English, Marathi etc.
Sangeeta Katti won several meritorious awards for her melodious compositions and albums. Leading recording companies like Master Rec. Co., Chennai, HMV, Lahari Rec. Co, Sangeet Sagar and several others have released a good number of Audio Cassettes and CD’s of Sangeeta in Classical, Devotional, Light, Film and Folk Music.
Sangeeta Katti has the privilege of having worked with the leading Music directors like Upendra Kumar, M.Ranga Rao, Vijay-Bhaskar, MM Keerawani, C Ashwath, Hamsalekha and Others and sung with leading maestros of India like Dr. M Balamurali Krishna, Dr.S.P.Balasubramanyam, Dr. K.J. Yesudas, Dr. Rajkumar, Dr. P.B Srinivas and others. Sangeeta is a ‘A’ grade artist in Classical and Light Music both on AIR and television, as a rich experience of singing nine different languages.
Having successfully toured abroad, all over UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Gulf and Canada, Sangeeta is the most popular figure there too.
Sangeeta Katti is residing in Bangalore, India with her husband Sri. Manmohan Kulkarni and her two kids Chi. Savani Kulkarni and Chi. Ninad Kulkarni, musing on music.
Sangeeta Katti received initial lessons from her father. At the age of four, she met Naushad Ali which she considered a turning point in her life. Naushad Ali asked her to sing some ragas and was impressed by the child prodigy and since then she became his student. Trained initially under Sri Sheshagiri Dandapur and Pt. Chanderashekhar Puranikmath, Sangeeta received advanced training in classical vocals from Padmabhushan Pt. Basavaraj Rajguru of Kirana & Gwalior Gharana for about 12 years. She is presently under the tutelage of Padmavibushana Gana Sarswati Smt Kishori Amonkar of the Jaipur-Atrauli Gharana
Sangeeta to date has over 4000 + concerts to her credit, her very first performance being at the age of four. She has also performed in the United States, UK, Newzealand and Canada. She is a regular feature in most of the important music festivals in India. She was a teaching faculty in Hindustani Vocal music at Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan, Bengaluru.
Sangeetha Katti has sung several songs and her songs in the film Nagamandala like Ee Hasiru Siriyali and Kambada Myalina Bombeyehave been widely acclaimed.
List of concerts
- Mysore Dasara (Darbar Hall) festival in 1983, 1987, 1999, 2005, 2008, 2014.
- 51st Sawai Gandharva Sangeetotsav, Pune – December 2003.
- Hampi Utsav – 1989, 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007, 2010. (A National Cultural fest conducted by Govt of Karnataka)
- Other important state festivals like:– Sahyadri utsav in 1998, Navsarpur utsav in 1991, Hoysala utsav in 2004, Kittur Utsav in 2004
- The Spirit of Unity Concerts for Universal Integration – 1998 (Bobbili, Vizianagaram) 2000 (Vishakhapatnam).
- Mahakumbha Mela, Haridwar, Uttaranchal April 2010.
- Several other important places like Mumbai, Goa, Delhi, Nasik, Hyderabad, Pune, Chennai, Bangalore, Mantralayam and others.
Concerts in abroad
- Vishwa Kannada Sammelana, Millenium Meet at Manchester – Aug 2000, Aug 2008 .
- Young Kannadigas at London, Rajyotsava celebrations, Nov 2008.
- UKKV Ugadi at Cardiss, April 2011.
- AKKA Conventions at Houston, Texas, – Sep 2000, Detroit Michigan – Sep 2002, Orlando Florida, Sep 2004, Baltimoore, MD, Sep 2006
- Basant Bahar, California.- 2002,2004. NA Kannadigas – 2000, 2002. Kannada Kuta LA & Sandiego – 2002
- Sri Venkateshwara Temple, Pittsburgh – 2002 and Purandara dasa day, June 2004.
- Kannada Sangha Atlanta – 2000. VSNA Convention, Atlanta – July 2004.
- Kannada Kuta, Hindu Temple & Other associations at Chicago – 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008
- Sai Baba Temple, Aurora, IL- 2004
- HTGC, Lemont IL – 2002
- Pampa Kannada Kuta at MI, 2002, 2004. Michigan Symphony, Detroit, MI (2010). Music Community of Greater Metropolitan Detroit, MI 2002
- Kaveri Kannada Kuta, MD – 2000, 2002, 2004 …West Virginia & Washington DC
- Music Community of greater Metropolitan Detroit, MI – Sep 2002
- Triveni (Brindavan) Kannada Sanga at NJ and NY – 2000, 2002, 2004
- CVHTS, Connecticut – 2002, 2004
- Annual Music and Dance Festival, ICHS, Dallas, TX – 2004. Mallige Kannada Kuta, Dallas, TX – 2000.
- Kannada Association of Northern California and Los Angeles – 2000, 2002
- Kannada Association St. Louis – 2004
- Mallige Kannada Sangha at Clarion Hotel Auditorium, Indianapolis, Indiana – 2004.Gita Mandal Indianapolis, Indiana – 2004
- Swanranjali – Columbus, Ohio- 2000, 2004
- VMS Sri Jayathirtha Aradhana Day Allentown, Pennsylvania, 2004
- Kannada Association – Toronto – 2000, 2004
- Rendered Vande Mataram at The Panorama India – Indo – Canadian Cultural Fest. Toronto – 2004
- Successful tour (APKO) in 2009 – Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide etc.
- APKO in 2009 – Auckland. Sangeeta Sarita in 2010 – Auckland
- APKO – India Association, 2009
- SAARTHA Foundation in Nov 2010
Other Associations like:
- Sunnyvale Temple, California, Birmingham – Alabama, Sandiego, Evansville – IN, Louiville – KY, Hindu Temple, Detroit etc.